Why I might be a teacher

As I was grocery shopping this afternoon and making my accustomed beeline for the samples, I heard a girl's voice say, "Hey, she tutored me today!" I looked up from the turkey and cheese I was about to try and saw the slight figure of a familiar seventh grader. I've been tutoring reading at a local junior high recently, and I'd worked with this particular girl earlier in the day. Surprised that she would remember me, I waved and smiled. My heart was warmed by her excitement to see me - it was almost as gratifying as a second grader grabbing your hand to pull you out to recess. It's moments such those that make me feel like I'm supposed to be a teacher. Maybe I will.

Maybe I will because I love to see a child's face light up when he finally understands something that was  a mystery to him. Or because I love talking about the geysers in Iceland with a struggling reader. Or because I love feeling like I made a difference, while at the same time knowing that the kids did more for me than I ever did for them. Or because I simply love people. Few professions - if any - offer the potential for touching so many lives so deeply as that of a teacher.

Not that it would be easy. There are definitely those days when students don't want to make an effort or feel that school is just too hard. Or times they ate so much Halloween candy the night before that they much prefer acrobatics to sitting still and writing. No, not easy. But worth it.

Maybe I'll be a teacher because, as you teach, you learn what life is really about.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?