Why elementary school is so much better the second time around
Some of the best friends I made this past semester were
seven years old. Tuesday afternoons were the highlight of my week as I headed
down to a local elementary school to spend time with these kids.
The after school program started off with snack time. I sat
with my second graders at our table and talked with them about field trips,
school, friends, movies, and whatever great stories they happened to invent.
As we got to know each other better over the course of the
semester, some of the kids became adamant that I would sit by them during snack
time. One day, my second graders decided that there was a “girls’ table” and a “boys’
table.” And in second grade, cooties are a very real danger.
“Nay, come sit with us!” a little girl yelled as I approached.
“No, Mrs. Nay, sit by me!” pleaded a little boy.
I stood between the two, torn because I didn’t want to play
favorites and risk making some of my little friends hate me. But the girls made
my decision for me by surrounding me and dragging me to their table – it’s
really hard to resist a cute little herd of girls grabbing your hand to sit by
them. Not to be deterred by the girls’ triumph, one little boy decided he would
rather break a social taboo than not sit by me, and he moved to the girls’
table amid taunts from both genders. I’m not that far removed from second grade
to forget how important peer approval was and how hard it was to do something
you’d be taunted for. So I was impressed and touched that my little friend would
rather be teased than not be able to talk to me. Maybe those kids thought I was
doing them a favor by sitting by them and helping them open their water
bottles, but I was really the one that was being served as the love and
friendship they extended to me touched and healed my soul.
Recess was our favorite part of the whole afternoon. When
the kids were turned loose to go outside, a little girl would usually grab my
hand, or a little boy would run over to me to make sure I was going outside
with them to play and not staying inside doing boring grown-up things like the
teachers or other tutors did. The kids never grew tired of playing tag
(although they had unusual names for it – “evil” and “the touching game.” I
think I’ll stick with the more politically correct appellation of “tag.”) I
inevitably was “it” every time, and the kids screamed as I chased them onto the
playground and up the jungle gym. From the top of the equipment they would
taunt me “You can’t get me, Nay!” But they weren’t completely confident in that
assertion, for they’d squeal whenever I got near. Being the fastest runner, I
easily passed on the tag, but no matter how many times I tagged one of the
kids, it always came back to me. Something about being the big kid makes you
everyone’s target.
Inevitably, a child or two would run up to me in the middle
of the game, tug my jacket and ask “Can you give us a push on the swings?” I
would dive for and tag the closest kid, temporarily passing off my tagging
responsibilities and giving myself approximately forty seconds to push the kids
on the swings before my tag-playing mob rushed after me.
A couple of times, our tag games got a little rough, and
more than once I had to take a student inside for a band aid. But sometimes the
band aids were needed less for physical scrapes and more for obtaining one-on-one
attention from an “adult.” But I was fine with that and gently covered owies
where no skin had been broken. I like to think that those band aids were healing
more than just scraped hands.
One day at recess, during our usual game of tag, one third
grade girl began trying to climb on my back for a piggy-back ride. I am still
perplexed as to why she thought I was a good candidate for giving her a ride,
but she was persistent in trying to get on my back. I wriggled out of her grasp
a few times but she would not desist. In a moment of foolish naiveté, I thought
she would leave me alone after one ride, so as I was recruited for my usual
under-doggy routine on the other side of the playground, I gave in and let her
remain on my back as I ran to the swings. I guess that goes to show how little
I understood elementary schoolers. Once my little gaggle of children saw one of
their comrades receive a piggy-back ride, they suddenly all wanted one. They
gathered around me yelling that it was their turn. What was I to do but give
them each the turn they felt was fair? Six or seven running trips around the
playground later, I was spent. Another thing I should have realized about
elementary schoolers is that they don’t understand what “tired” means. I tried
to explain to my clamoring kids that I physically could not run with any more
of them on my back, but they wouldn’t hear it and begged for a second (or
third) turn. Thinking to trick me, a few of them stood up on the low cement
wall surrounding the playground. “Come here!” they demanded. “And turn around –
we have a surprise for you!”
“Oh, I bet you do!” I replied half sternly but half laughing
as I walked away.
It only took ten extra years, but I had finally become the
most popular kid at recess.
After the whistle blew that ended recess, it was homework
time. I loved working with the kids, helping them understand how to tell time
or count money. One of my little boys simply struggled with school. It didn’t
come easy to him, and I remember just laboring with him over counting by threes
or doing simple sums. Three years ago, I would not have understood his difficulties
– academics had always come easy to me and I couldn’t understand why people
couldn’t see what I was seeing. But after I have taken calculus, chemistry, and
cell biology at BYU, I understand that feeling of complete confusion with absolutely
no idea how to find the answer. I knew where my little friend was coming from,
and I just wanted so badly for him to understand and to learn. One day we were
working on addition. He had gotten a couple answers right, but was beginning to
struggle again. I silently prayed that he would be able to figure it out, and I
almost cried with joy when his eyes lit up and he said the right answer. Their
success had become my success. And I felt what I had always known – the meaning
of life lies in touching the lives of those around you.
My last day at the school was bittersweet. I had grown to
love these children dearly and knew I would probably never see them again. As I
was saying a final goodbye and preparing to head out the door, one little girl
grabbed my hand. “I’m going to miss you!”
I smiled. “I’m going to miss you, too.”
I’m going to miss
playing tag with you and having you all clamor for my attention.
I’m going to miss
seeing your eyes light up when you understand something difficult.
I’m going to miss
trying to make you sit in your seats when you have too much energy to do homework.
I’m going to miss how
you always made me feel better about myself and how you always reminded me what
life is really about, because you honestly got me through a tough semester.
I’m going to miss your
jokes and your laughter and your little hands reaching for mine.
I may have taught those kids that the small hand points to
the hour, but they taught me in a very real and poignant way that life is about
love and service. They constantly helped me to refocus on the things that
matter most and reminded me that worldly accolades and accomplishments are nothing compared to making a difference
in the life of another. I have no doubt that I received more than I gave this
semester. And I got recess – what more could you want?
Sharisa! I love this! You are so amazing... I love how being around kids always seems to give you a fresh perspective :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy! :) I agree - kids are just wonderful in helping you see life in a new way. They're great!
ReplyDelete