A youngster guitarring with the Old Time Fiddlers
In the words of a wise social critic who once commented on the verbing of America, "You can fiddle, but you can't violin."
True story. Perhaps that's why a certain music group is called the Old Time Fiddlers and not the Old Time Violiners. Right. But in their group I neither fiddle nor do I violin (although I'm learning). I guitar.
Now when I say guitar, I don't mean I'm up there soloing. Nope. I'm not that much of an old-timer yet. I'm still learning the ropes and I'm more than content to just sit back and chord while the rest of the group takes their turn in the center. And usually they respect that wish of mine, but they're trying to convince me to take my turn on solo like all the rest of them. (Let's be honest - how can I solo when I don't know any bluegrass songs? Yep. That's the bottom line. I'll keep to my chording. I'm getting pretty good at it. Well, not good, but definitely better. I have their standard set of chords basically down now, which is definitely a step in the right direction. And maybe someday I'll solo. Maybe. No promises.)
In all honesty, I was highly reluctant to join this group of old people playing a flavor of music I did not particularly care for. But for some reason, it's grown on me. Perhaps it's the sweet old people who warmly welcome me and say I make a great addition. Maybe it's Carl who almost always solos in E and dresses like a cowboy. Or maybe it's Rose who says she's a hundred and always gives me a hug. Or maybe it's the little baby, Willis, who comes with his mom and dad and sometimes loses his bouncy ball. Or maybe it's Mark and his jokes and cowboy hat. Or maybe it's Fran with her smiles and humor. Or maybe it's Nathan (a fellow youngster!) who can has taken fiddling to a whole new level - maybe we could even say that he violins. Or maybe it's Doug and his humor and encouragement. Or maybe it's the combination of everybody and how we all interact with each other and tease and laugh. Basically, some of the nicest old (and sometimes young) people in the world are hiding in Old Time Fiddlers. And I'm so glad I've met them.
Despite the fact that I still prefer my grass green, bluegrass has gained respect in my eyes. I've come to love the feeling of strumming along with the old-timers, making music for those who are listening, whether it be in a park or at a ward party. My favorite was playing at an assisted living center. The senior citizens we played for (some of whom I'm sure are younger than some of our band members) loved our music and were so excited to hear us. They reminded me of what I already knew - there is power in music and service. And in youth and old age, especially when they come together. And definitely in fiddling.
True story. Perhaps that's why a certain music group is called the Old Time Fiddlers and not the Old Time Violiners. Right. But in their group I neither fiddle nor do I violin (although I'm learning). I guitar.
Now when I say guitar, I don't mean I'm up there soloing. Nope. I'm not that much of an old-timer yet. I'm still learning the ropes and I'm more than content to just sit back and chord while the rest of the group takes their turn in the center. And usually they respect that wish of mine, but they're trying to convince me to take my turn on solo like all the rest of them. (Let's be honest - how can I solo when I don't know any bluegrass songs? Yep. That's the bottom line. I'll keep to my chording. I'm getting pretty good at it. Well, not good, but definitely better. I have their standard set of chords basically down now, which is definitely a step in the right direction. And maybe someday I'll solo. Maybe. No promises.)
In all honesty, I was highly reluctant to join this group of old people playing a flavor of music I did not particularly care for. But for some reason, it's grown on me. Perhaps it's the sweet old people who warmly welcome me and say I make a great addition. Maybe it's Carl who almost always solos in E and dresses like a cowboy. Or maybe it's Rose who says she's a hundred and always gives me a hug. Or maybe it's the little baby, Willis, who comes with his mom and dad and sometimes loses his bouncy ball. Or maybe it's Mark and his jokes and cowboy hat. Or maybe it's Fran with her smiles and humor. Or maybe it's Nathan (a fellow youngster!) who can has taken fiddling to a whole new level - maybe we could even say that he violins. Or maybe it's Doug and his humor and encouragement. Or maybe it's the combination of everybody and how we all interact with each other and tease and laugh. Basically, some of the nicest old (and sometimes young) people in the world are hiding in Old Time Fiddlers. And I'm so glad I've met them.
Despite the fact that I still prefer my grass green, bluegrass has gained respect in my eyes. I've come to love the feeling of strumming along with the old-timers, making music for those who are listening, whether it be in a park or at a ward party. My favorite was playing at an assisted living center. The senior citizens we played for (some of whom I'm sure are younger than some of our band members) loved our music and were so excited to hear us. They reminded me of what I already knew - there is power in music and service. And in youth and old age, especially when they come together. And definitely in fiddling.
Comments
Post a Comment