Last Monday at approximately 8:09 A.M., the number of times I've left my state of birth increased by 33.33%. (Go ahead, do the math. But no worries, I shall see the world someday. Someday soon.) I discovered that a couple of the main attractions in Wyoming are fireworks (an obvious fact, I know, but I still had to laugh at how many firework stores dotted the landscape) and 50 cent ice cream cones (a great billboard proudly announced that these soft serve cones were to be obtained in a mere 60 miles. . . biggest attraction around, I suppose).
Kansas was our destination as I embarked on this road trip with my wonderful best friend, Megan, and her family. And I rather fell in love with Kansas. Fields of corn as far as the eye can see, and hundreds and hundreds of hay rolls, and miles and miles of windmills made me feel as if I was back home, except on a much larger scale. I enjoyed the embrace of the humid summer air and even learned to love to the cacophonous cicadas. And, having never seen an entire field devoted entirely to sunflowers before, I was quite taken by those.
 |
| Windmills are just so homey. |
 |
| Hay! |
Over the week, I really enjoyed getting to know Megan's incredible family. They are some of the kindest people in the world and welcomed me warmly into their family. They're great! And I've officially decided that, when I grow up, I want to have lots of little boys. What larks we'll have!
In addition to playing hide and seek and 500, and staying up late talking, I learned a couple new card games. (And lost every one, but don't worry, that could change someday.) And I fell in love with the beautiful campus of the University of Kansas. In my opinion, there is something sacred about the acquisition of knowledge, and because of that, a special spirit pervades the campuses where learning occurs. Go college! ;)
One of the highlights of the trip was our trip to church history sites in Missouri. Due to my above-stated travel deficiency, this was the first time I had visited these sites where my forebears walked. As I stood on the hallowed ground Adam-ondi-Ahman, Far West, Liberty, and Independence, I felt a deep connection to those who had gone before me and an excitement for the future of the church. A future I want to stand up and help create. It is incredible to me that these great men and women worked and sacrificed to lay a foundation - a foundation that is now in my hands to build upon.
 |
| The Far West Temple Site. |
 |
| The soon-to-be-completed Kansas City Temple! |
'Twas a fabulous trip, and one I shall long remember. Wonderful people, choreographed dancing, wild rabbits, carefully selecting beautiful presents, and a great deal of talking - yep, I don't think I could ask for anything more. :)
Yay! I'm glad you had a good time! We enjoyed having you!
ReplyDelete