Seven weeks of education
As I was walking across BYU campus this past week, I realized this was the seventh time I have been at BYU's Education Week. That made me feel old. And educated. It's my family tradition/vacation to attend Education Week together every year, and we always look forward to it for months. My younger brother was fourteen this year, and he was super exited to finally be able to join in the festivities.
After attending class for 28 hours in four days and taking over 10,000 words of notes, I feel a great deal smarter now than I did on Monday. At the same time, though, the more I learn, the more acutely I realize how little I know. There are so many scholars in the world who know so much more than I do about communication, Islam, C.S. Lewis, Jesus Christ, and my religion. And even they know nothing compared with the knowledge the God of the universe possesses. And that is why I am grateful I had the opportunity to learn from both the scholars and my God this week.
The people you meet at Education Week are wonderful. It's always exciting to have some person you have never seen in your life randomly impart to you deep doctrine, polenta bread, or their music CDs. It's great.
In addition to learning and meeting people, there are also ample opportunities to laugh. Such as when I got my foot caught in a seat in the MARB and calmly pretended nothing was wrong until I had extricated myself. Or when (subsequent to a 7-mile hike with a dear friend who entered the MTC on Wednesday) I tweaked my knee and hobbled around campus all day, suddenly having sympathy for my senior citizen friends. Or when I needed to get past a sleeping gentleman to get to my seat in a class, and he simply would not wake up to let me through and the people in front of me were quite amused. Good times. I love it.
Having reached the number of perfection in my Education Week attendance, I feel a sense of gratitude and humility. I have learned so much these past seven years (and especially these past few days), and I value that learning. This year's theme was completely met in my experience, for I was truly edified this past week. And every time I've gone.
In case you couldn't tell, I'm a fan of Ed Week, and I recommend it to all of you. Despite what you hear from all the BYU students who hate the traffic. ;)
After attending class for 28 hours in four days and taking over 10,000 words of notes, I feel a great deal smarter now than I did on Monday. At the same time, though, the more I learn, the more acutely I realize how little I know. There are so many scholars in the world who know so much more than I do about communication, Islam, C.S. Lewis, Jesus Christ, and my religion. And even they know nothing compared with the knowledge the God of the universe possesses. And that is why I am grateful I had the opportunity to learn from both the scholars and my God this week.
The people you meet at Education Week are wonderful. It's always exciting to have some person you have never seen in your life randomly impart to you deep doctrine, polenta bread, or their music CDs. It's great.
In addition to learning and meeting people, there are also ample opportunities to laugh. Such as when I got my foot caught in a seat in the MARB and calmly pretended nothing was wrong until I had extricated myself. Or when (subsequent to a 7-mile hike with a dear friend who entered the MTC on Wednesday) I tweaked my knee and hobbled around campus all day, suddenly having sympathy for my senior citizen friends. Or when I needed to get past a sleeping gentleman to get to my seat in a class, and he simply would not wake up to let me through and the people in front of me were quite amused. Good times. I love it.
Having reached the number of perfection in my Education Week attendance, I feel a sense of gratitude and humility. I have learned so much these past seven years (and especially these past few days), and I value that learning. This year's theme was completely met in my experience, for I was truly edified this past week. And every time I've gone.
In case you couldn't tell, I'm a fan of Ed Week, and I recommend it to all of you. Despite what you hear from all the BYU students who hate the traffic. ;)
Comments
Post a Comment