How to fiesta like the pioneers

That's what we do in Spanish Fork around the 24th of July each year when we celebrate Fiesta Days. The whole idea of juxtaposing Pioneer Day with Fiesta Days is rather interesting, as Pioneer Day celebrates our Mormon pioneer heritage, while Fiesta Days honors our Spanish/Catholic tradition. But it's a fun combination, and I'm deeply grateful to both groups of pioneers who sacrificed to allow me to be here now.

I'll let you all on in a little secret - I've never been to the highly acclaimed SF rodeo, around which Fiesta Days almost revolves. And I likely never will, because, despite growing up in Spanish Fork, I've never been much of a cowgirl. But I love the parade! And hanging out in the park for food and entertainment. Good times.

I haven't been to many other small-town parades, so perhaps my basis for comparison is not that great, but there are a few things about the SF parade that make it stand out in my mind.


1) Domination of baseball teams. There are a couple dozen championship baseball/softball teams riding on anything from a boring truck to a semi to a boat. Sometimes I'm convinced baseball fuels my city.
Boat option
Semi-truck option
Truck option



2) Tractors. Lots of them.


In addition to parade entertainment, tractors also play an important role in my farming community. But it's super annoying when you get stuck behind one in traffic.



3) Bagpipe bands. I used to not be a fan, but they've grown on me over the years and now I think I can honestly say I'm fond of the instrument.





I don't think Payson's marching band appreciated being put right behind their pipe band. But what can you do?



4) Funny things can be seen.

Like these high school boys jumping off their float to follow and imitate their drill team. Cracked me up.


Apparently Justin Bieber attended my high school. Yeah,  news to me.

Secretly I'm a pig superhero. But don't tell anyone.


 5) It's just a lot of fun. I mean, if Cosmo and Jimmer's face are there, how can you go wrong?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?