Leaf Subsides to Leaf

A few days ago, while walking home, I breathed deeply the smell of blossoms and new life, silently planning what trees I wanted plant around my future home based solely on how they look in spring. As is wont to happen in springtime, Robert Frost’s familiar poem “Nothing Gold Can Stay” came to mind. Since my middle school years, I have loved this poem. But in recent days it has come to mean more to me than ever, taking on new shades of meaning, new layers of hope and longing.



Nature’s first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Few things are as beautiful as blossoms adorning the once-barren branches of trees, reaching upward and taking the eye and the mind of the beholder heavenward. After the seemingly dead world of winter, the new life of spring brings with it a promise and anticipation that can restore hope to the heart. The darkness and cold and lifelessness will not last forever. There is yet life in those dead, winter branches—life that is revealed in the spring as a reminder that we will all live again. As with much of the Christian world, I find also in this reawakening of life a reminder of Him who is the Giver of life. The blossoms and buds and greening branches serve as symbols of Him who rose again and will bring about our own immortality.




And yet for all my love of spring—or perhaps because of it—I ache at its transitory nature. This beautiful display of flower and gold lasts only a moment before the blossoms fall to the ground, to be crushed and trampled and replaced by the much more durable leaves. The promise and hope of early springtime transitions into full-fledged summer. As one who simultaneously despises change and loves beauty, spring inevitably finds me seeking desperately to cling on to this transient reality, not quite willing to step down from something that seems so exalted into the more workaday world of heat and leaves. I don’t want the day or the summer to come—I want dawn to remain just a little longer, the blossoms to linger, the leaves to hold off.


My life right now finds me in a sort of springtime; a period of transition that I don’t yet want to release from my grasp. After years of preparation and study and work—with my fair share of dark, lifeless days—the promise of change is on the horizon with my upcoming graduation from BYU. This is my final spring as a student here at the university I’ve loved since I was a child. As with all of my life changes, I find myself looking at the beauty and blossoms around me, wondering how full-blown leaves could possibly be better than the blossoms and flowers I am now experiencing. And yet, one of the promises of spring is that things will get better. Yes, there is green instead of gold come summertime. But we need that green. We need the shade of the trees and the growth of corn. We need summer. We need daytime. Perpetual dawn would never allow us to progress or work or change. The transitions in our lives are beautiful, but only inasmuch as they provide for further growth and development. If Eden had not sunk to grief, she likewise could not have “sunk” to joy, for these two entities are inseparable. Summer, with its beating sun, exhaustion of work, had to follow the relaxation and beauty of spring.


I find it reassuring that in these times of transition and change, God gives us the beauty of blossoms and flowers and chirping birds to comfort us. He gives us these promises of beauty and joy yet to be that will exceed what we can currently grasp. He is with us during the transitions of life.

But we have to have the courage to move forward out of the transition period into the unknown summer. We have to trust that there truly are better things to come. Because God didn’t create spring so that it could last forever—He made it to usher in the summer. And Christ’s Resurrection—as glorious as that moment was when the Savior burst the bands of death and rose from the grave—was to impact not simply that instant, but to usher in His own immortality and the opportunity for all of us to join Him. These moments of beginnings, while beautiful in and of themselves, were intended to bring about so much more.


So as much as I love the blossom, and as scared as I am of losing the flower, when the unknown leaf replaces this transitory beauty, I hope to embrace it. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?