Extraordinary people

"It doesn't matter what you look like. You just have to have a good heart to work here."

I looked over at the man in the driver's seat. I'll admit, the first time (or perhaps even two or three) that I saw him, I was slightly intimidated by this burly, tattooed, bearded Russian man, with his earring and a full pound of silver jewelry on his hands and wrists. But I quickly came to understand that this Harley-Davidson lover has the biggest heart of anyone I know. He has a caliber of love and humility I want to emulate.

He continued his philosophizing to me as we made our way back to Moscow from the orphanage. "Bad people can't work here. The children know. They can see who you are. And if you are a good person, they will come to you. They will feel it."

I vocalized my consent, reflecting on the incredible people I've met here the past few weeks and how much the children are drawn to them. The employees at this orphanage for sick children are some of the most Christlike people I have ever met. It warms my heart every time I see a sick child run or wheel or shuffle over to one of the workers and throw their arms around them. And I cannot help but smile when I see the cook's face light up with love and happiness when one of the children thanks her for a meal. And I will always remember Anatoly standing with his arms protectively and lovingly around a couple of the boys as they all participated in a worship service. And how Lidia so patiently helps the deaf child learn to pronounce words. I am in awe of the patience that the teachers and caretakers give to the children. Feelings of love and respect are tangible at this orphanage, and friendship is universal. The children are surrounded by incredible, good, loving adults. And they feel that. They know that.

Alexei my driver still had more to tell me: "Aren't they extraordinary children? They really are. I've been offered several other jobs while I've been working here. But I always say no. It's not for the money. I just can't leave the children."

And I know exactly where he's coming from! Those children are incredible and have changed me because of who they are. I love them dearly and will forever be grateful for the opportunity I have had to work with them.

But it's not just the children who are extraordinary at this orphanage. I'm grateful that my internship here has brought me into contact with some of the most charitable adults on the planet. As long as people like Alexei, Vova, Natalia, Sveta, and the rest of the bunch are around, I have so much faith in humanity. Their example inspires me. I'm going to become better because I know them.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?