An attitude of service
Every time I see someone reach out to another, my heart is touched. My faith in humanity increases. And I smile--I who neither gave nor the received the service. My day is brightened because I watch other people serve. Like that one day that a young woman I'll probably never speak to shifted the way that I look at service.
I can't count the number of times since coming to Moscow that I've watched someone give up their seat on the metro to another person. A young man letting the babushka take his place. A woman giving up her seat for a child.
But the time I will always remember took place on a crowded metro car. Suddenly, a young woman stood from her seat at the end of the wagon and set her purse on the seat to reserve it until she returned. I thought to myself that she must be standing up to look at the map near me to figure out where to get off. But she didn't. She walked past the map. And approached an insignificant babushka concealed behind a host of other people. She touched the older woman's arm, and motioned her to her purse-reserved seat. As this girl led the babushka to her seat and removed her purse, a whirlwind of thoughts swirled through my mind.
I hadn't even noticed that babushka.
I hadn't been looking around for people who needed a seat.
How had that girl even seen that babushka from all the way across the car?
That girl's confidence to just walk past everyone and give the babushka her seat was inspiring.
That was love.
That was service.
This young woman was aware.
And she gave me a new perspective on service that day. Service isn't just something to do when it's convenient or if you notice a need that needs filling. Service isn't just grudgingly giving up your seat to someone standing near you--it's looking out to see if anyone is in need. Service, in its purest form, ought to be a state of mind. Service should be your intention when you walk out the door in the morning. We are surrounded by people who need our help, and I for one want to make it my more active goal to be constantly looking for ways to serve.
I could relate countless moments when I've seen selfless service recently. People giving money to homeless people on the streets. Students greeting the security guards and custodians who serve them. But instead of just telling you, I want to show you a representation of this service. So you should watch this youtube video. Because it's incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m_nRe3i7pc
This is humanity. This is the spirit and attitude of service. This is who we all are deep inside. And who we all should be. It's who I want to be.
I can't count the number of times since coming to Moscow that I've watched someone give up their seat on the metro to another person. A young man letting the babushka take his place. A woman giving up her seat for a child.
But the time I will always remember took place on a crowded metro car. Suddenly, a young woman stood from her seat at the end of the wagon and set her purse on the seat to reserve it until she returned. I thought to myself that she must be standing up to look at the map near me to figure out where to get off. But she didn't. She walked past the map. And approached an insignificant babushka concealed behind a host of other people. She touched the older woman's arm, and motioned her to her purse-reserved seat. As this girl led the babushka to her seat and removed her purse, a whirlwind of thoughts swirled through my mind.
I hadn't even noticed that babushka.
I hadn't been looking around for people who needed a seat.
How had that girl even seen that babushka from all the way across the car?
That girl's confidence to just walk past everyone and give the babushka her seat was inspiring.
That was love.
That was service.
This young woman was aware.
And she gave me a new perspective on service that day. Service isn't just something to do when it's convenient or if you notice a need that needs filling. Service isn't just grudgingly giving up your seat to someone standing near you--it's looking out to see if anyone is in need. Service, in its purest form, ought to be a state of mind. Service should be your intention when you walk out the door in the morning. We are surrounded by people who need our help, and I for one want to make it my more active goal to be constantly looking for ways to serve.
I could relate countless moments when I've seen selfless service recently. People giving money to homeless people on the streets. Students greeting the security guards and custodians who serve them. But instead of just telling you, I want to show you a representation of this service. So you should watch this youtube video. Because it's incredible.
This is humanity. This is the spirit and attitude of service. This is who we all are deep inside. And who we all should be. It's who I want to be.
Comments
Post a Comment