A stake of Zion

I'm in Moscow.

And Moscow has a stake. A stake of Zion. (And for those of you unfamiliar with that terminology, a stake is a group of congregations in my church.)

This weekend, the Moscow stake had the incredible privilege of hearing from Elder Bednar, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. And that was one of the most incredible experiences ever.

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to gather with a couple dozen young women from the stake in Moscow to be instructed by Sister Bednar, Sister Bennett, and the wives of other church leaders. As we sat in a circle of sisters in that little (and well-hidden) meeting house in Moscow, I felt incredible love for my Russian sisters. I'd only met them a week or two ago, and some of them I still hadn't met as the meeting began. But as we discussed the Atonement, gratitude, and overcoming trials in our lives, my heart was full to overflowing with love for these precious daughters of God. I am so grateful that I get to be here right now and become friends with these long-lost sisters of mine.


Later that evening and again the next morning, members of the stake met to be instructed by the Bednars and the Bennetts. As I sat in that hotel conference room with hundreds of my Russian brothers and sisters, I was filled with joy. I felt deeply the love of God for me and for all those surrounding me. We were powerfully instructed by Elder Bednar that evening, and again the next morning. He exhorted us to develop the character of Christ by becoming a little better each day and relying on the Atonement. He expounded on the apostasy and restoration and bore powerful testimony that the true church of Jesus Christ is again on the earth. 

Elder Bednar came to Moscow six-and-a-half years ago. Back when there were far fewer members--only a couple districts. And now there is a stake. After remarking on that growth, he commented that he hopes to return here sooner than in six years. And that by the time he comes back, the growth of the church will have been even more rapid. As he spoke those words, my heart swelled. God loves the people of Russia. And He wants them to have the fulness of His gospel. He is hastening His work in this land.

God loves the stake of Zion in Moscow, Russia. And it will continue to grow and expand until many stakes dot this blessed land.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?