Connected
What a weird feeling—having an extra twenty minutes to do
whatever I want. Usually my days are planned ahead and packed with the tasks
that need to be accomplished: feed the boys; change their diapers; wipe their
tears; feed them again; pull the older out of the (formerly) sleeping baby’s
crib; calm the toddler’s fit as he protests being prevented from snuggling his
brother; rock the now-screaming infant back to sleep; feed them again; take the
toddler to the park so he doesn’t go crazy running laps in our apartment; feed;
change; comfort; repeat. Each day, if I’m lucky, I get maybe an hour or two
where the boys align their naps and I’m able to work on my research or take
care of tasks for my church responsibilities or clean the house. (Or consume a
pint of ice cream in blessed silence.) Sometimes, though, that doesn’t happen
and I juggle two tiny boys, sometimes both crying in my arms at the same time
while I rock them. Sometimes I throw my own tears into the mix just for good measure.
But here I am at the Toronto airport with my flight delayed
twenty minutes. I’ve already gone through customs and security, pumped and
eaten, and found the gate. And here I am. Alone. Nobody clamoring for my time
or my comfort or my attention. Nobody I need to keep from destroying all the
store displays or running the wrong way on the moving sidewalk while we wait
for an extra twenty minutes. What a strange feeling. I’m almost like one of the
thousands of other people milling around the airport with no tiny humans in
tow. It’s been a while since I’ve had this type of independence. And on one
hand it’s nice—I can pull out my phone or computer without a toddler begging to
use it; I can sit still without having to bounce an infant; I can let my brain
engage in something that requires sustained thought without worrying about
being interrupted in thirty seconds.
But we also need to talk about the fact that all I can do is
think about my boys back home. What does this mom do with her newfound freedom?
Pour all her obsessive, baby-focused thoughts into writing. Because I’m
terrified for the youngest one who is only six weeks old and is refusing to take
the bottles of lovingly-pumped breastmilk I’ve left him. In the time I’ve been
away and pumped 14 ounces of milk in tiny airport vestibules, my tiny human
back home has only drunk 2.5 ounces. And that only with many tears and
ear-splitting screams. *Deep breath* Why did we think this trip to present at a
conference in Vancouver was a good idea? Although, when I planned the trip, I
had anticipated taking my baby with me, and only later discovered there would
not be enough time to get his passport after his birth. Silly international
regulations, causing my baby to starve and me to spend my 20 minutes of free
time only able to write in anxiety about how I miss my boys.
But I think that’s part of motherhood—the perpetual
connection to your children and inability to ever truly be away from them. The
inability to ever completely relax without worrying—at least in some part of
your mind—about someone else’s well-being. There’s part of your thoughts and
heart that remain with your children, praying for them, wondering how they are
doing, worrying about them, missing them. I don’t think my ability to
compartmentalize has ever been this frail. I mean, I can’t wait to go home and
hold my little boys again—and I haven’t even made it to my final destination
yet. I don’t think my mind and heart will every be entirely mine again now that
I’m a mother. And I don’t want them to be—I revel in this glorious connection
of souls; the sacred tying of my heart inextricably and eternally to the lives
of perfect, tiny beings.
It is that beautiful connection, the profound
interdependence of mother and child, that lends meaning and joy to the diaper
changes and the tears and the night feedings. These are my tiny humans, and
they need me. And I need them—deeply and profoundly and with my whole,
uncompartmentalized heart and mind.
Comments
Post a Comment