Going


The pure, soulful cry
Of my tiny son as his plaintive face
Looks into mine
Through his tears,
Mouth wide open,
Tiny chin trembling,
Arms stretching to the door
Trying to reach his dad,
Wondering why his favorite playmate
Can’t stay home all day.
Why does Dad have to go?
He stares out the door as long
As I will let him—hoping Dad will come back--
And the sobs begin anew
Once I close the door
And he realizes Dad has gone to work.
The purity and innocence
Of these heart-wrenching cries,
That sometimes leave him
Writhing on the floor,
Inconsolable by my touch and voice
Melts my heart
And yet makes me smile—
My little one loves his dad.

And in the silent moments
When a sudden memory comes to me,
Brought on by a song,
A joke,
A wandering thought,
A story,
I find myself overcome
By the same heart-felt tears
As my son,
And my own face crinkles into sobs
That reach the depths of my soul
As I think how my dad missed Thanksgiving.
How he won’t be there for Christmas.
How he can’t congratulate me
For defending my prospectus,
Or laugh at a song I heard;
How he can’t answer my texts,
Or hold his grandson on his knee.
My own arms stretch out
Toward that gaping door of death
And my own infant sobs question,
Why does Dad have to go?

Comments

  1. I have felt the same sobs for the last 7 1/2 years. There are days when you don't cry, and others where you want nothing more than to have your dad walk back through the door. But then you remind yourself that he never really left. He's still there even if you can't see him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?