We need this baby
My Tuesday morning pre-Russian-texts-and-critics-class
routine was well underway as I scrolled through my photo roll, showing my
classmates the adorable creature known as my son. Because what else would I
talk about with my friends before class? I mean, who can resist this face,
right?
Even my professor came over to watch a video of Joseph’s
latest skill, commenting that she doesn’t know how I get anything done. (#validated)
As I scrolled to yet another picture to show off my favorite
tiny human, one of my friends asked me, “Do you regret having a baby during
this school year?”
(Now, let me refer you back to my tiny man’s cuteness and
ask if there is any way in the world I could have answered “yes” to her
question. Clearly there was not.)
Surprised, and yet trying to play it cool so as to come
across as the mom-and-PhD-student-who-has-it-all-together that I like to pretend
to be, I replied, “No. It’s completely worth it.” I assured her that, despite
the impending slate of PhD comprehensive exams awaiting me this semester, I
wouldn’t have changed the timing of this little boy’s advent into the world. Despite
my own coursework, teaching responsibilities, looming dissertation, and those
nefarious exams, I honestly have never even thought to regret Joseph’s birth.
I mean, look at those eyes.
Because, for all that I feel like I spend the bulk of my
life now desperately trying to keep all the pieces of my existence together and
not let any important fragments of responsibility slip through my fingers into
the ether of the universe, I have never felt happier or more fulfilled. My life
has never had more meaning or substance or joy.
Am I prepared for those impending exams that determine if I
can continue in the program I’ve already devoted more than two years of my life
to? Nope. Have I spent more time and energy in the past six months thinking
about how to make an infant sleep than about how to conjugate a Russian verb or
analyze literature or understand history? Oh yes. Do I prefer to spend Joseph’s
sacred nap time writing my motherly thoughts instead of preparing for class?
Obviously.
Needless to say, it hasn’t been easy to balance all the
demands on my time and energy. It’s hard to know where to place my focus when I
feel like I’m being pulled in seven directions at once. Sometimes the evening
hours when Joseph is in bed and I have not yet allowed myself to slip into the
precious realm of slumber can be crippling as I think about the many things begging
me to finish them—should I spend these free hours grading homework, doing class
readings, working on papers, studying for exams, maybe planning a music lesson
for the children at church, doing the yoga routine I skipped in the morning for
the sake of extra sleep….? The only practical solution to this problem is
eating ice cream with my husband and chatting until we’re exhausted. Because
sometimes sanity is more important than working. And somehow everything gets
done enough and we keep plodding along.
But, in addition to the onset of chronically interrupted
sleep cycles and complete loss of control over my schedule, Joseph’s birth has
given me a profound shift in my priorities. Suddenly my school responsibilities
seem far less daunting, or even important. As ironic as it seems, I know I
would be much more stressed about my academics and my exams and my dissertation
research this semester if I did not have a baby consuming the majority of my
attention. As I walk in to teach Russian or sit in a seminar and try to discuss
intellectual things, songs from Fisher Price baby toys running through my head,
I feel like a much different grad student than I was a year ago. Motherhood has
helped me learn to slow down, to lessen my need for control or constant
productivity. It’s taught me that in five, ten, twenty, fifty years, so much of
what I am doing right now in my program won’t matter, at least for its own sake.
My Russian students may forget my name and every declension I ever taught them.
My research papers and conference presentations will sink into oblivion, unheard-of
and forgotten. My dissertation will sit on a silent, dusty library shelf, never
to be opened after the conclusion of my defense.
These academic pursuits won’t matter.
But for all of eternity, Joseph will be my son.
He matters.
His tiny, grabby hands need to be held.
His little tears need to be dried.
His bright blue eyes need to look into the face of a mother
who loves him.
Those are the things that matter, the things that will have
a profound and long-term effect, both for him and me.
So, no. No, I do not one single bit regret bringing my
little son into the world at exactly this time.
I feel like the little three-year-old son of some friends who, upon our coming to pick up Joseph from his kind babysitters, asked what we were doing. When we told him we were taking our baby home, the toddler squeezed Joseph and said, "No! Um, we need this baby."
My thoughts exactly. Bryce and I sure do love and need this sweet six-month-old.



Comments
Post a Comment