Christmas Eve thoughts on God's promises
Before the foundation of the world, God made a promise to mankind
that would allow them to live, to change, to find comfort and purpose in
suffering, and to ultimately return to God: He promised to send His Son.
Prophets and sages spent millennia prophesying of Him, rejoicing in the far-off
day of His coming. They believed God when He told them a baby would be born in
some future day—a baby that would save them. These prophets and saints clung to
that promise, even though they could not see the fulfillment of that hope. They
trusted God’s promises.
And trusting God’s promises is something I’ve been thinking
a lot about recently.
A couple months ago, a chilly fall morning found me walking
to work, reflecting on my life. Things were not going as I’d planned. A recent
break-up had left me a bit disenchanted with life, and I felt that I was powerless
to stop my dreams and plans from falling through. In particular, those worries that so often
consume the thoughts of single women wanting to start a family were haunting me,
and I wondered if I would ever have the opportunity that so many of my friends
were enjoying of getting married and having children. As I walked down that vacant
street, I expressed these concerns to God. In answer, the words of a song that
has meant a lot to me over the past several months came to mind: “Hold on to
every promise God has made to us” (you should maybe go watch the music video of Glorious Unfolding right now).Those words hit me
in that moment, and I turned them over in my mind. I pondered the promises the
Lord has made to me, particularly in connection with one day having my own
family. Mentally, I understood that I could and needed to trust my God and His
timing for my embarking on that journey. But emotionally I still felt very
broken and unsure and hopeless.
I arrived at work and began my Skype call with the senior
missionary I would be teaching that day. Since it was my turn to share a spiritual
thought, I discussed the ideas I’d had on the way over about God’s promises.
Even as I testified to her, however, that God keeps his promises, my heart
continued to ache with the unsurety of when God would answer my prayers. I
don’t know if my missionary that morning sensed my fear and despair, but she
followed up on my story with one of her own. And that story has become a battle
cry for me—a clarion call to cling to the Lord’s promises, no matter how long
it takes.
A bit over three years ago now, Brother and Sister Johnson (names
have been changed) received a mission call to Germany. They were thrilled, as
this would be the fulfillment of a long-time dream. Brother Johnson had served
in Germany as a young elder and had grown to love the people and culture. He
had faithfully maintained his ability to speak German so that when the time
came, he would be able to return there with his wife and immediately begin serving.
Before they entered the Missionary Training Center, however, Sister Johnson was
diagnosed with cancer. Their preparations to leave the country came to an
unexpected halt. Dreams of airplanes and missionary tags melted into doctor visits
and chemotherapy treatments. Joyful anticipation was now replaced with pain and
disappointment.
During one particularly difficult episode early on in her
treatment, Sister Johnson received a priesthood blessing. In that blessing, she
was not only promised that she and her husband would be able to serve a
mission, but was even told specifically to which mission they would be called. I
picture the tiny frame of this woman lying on hospital sheets wondering how
such a promise could even be uttered, let alone fulfilled. I imagine that she,
like Sarah in the Old Testament, could have laughed at that moment at the Lord’s
promise. She could have wondered how her cancer-ridden body would ever be able
to withstand the rigors of a full-time mission. Yet despite the improbability
of it, she chose to cling to this promise God had made to her. She went forward
with her treatments day in and day out. Whenever people asked her if she and
her husband would go on their mission, she always said yes, allowing her trust
in God crowd out the pain in her body and doubts in her mind.
Except for once. On one difficult day where there seemed to
be no path and no purpose, she replied to that inquiry from a well-meaning
friend that she and her husband would not
be serving a mission. She related that instance of doubt to me somewhat
sheepishly, quickly adding that she repented of that doubt. Yet as she described
that moment of weakness, I saw myself. I saw the instances I have begun to
doubt the veracity of the promises God has made to me—those moments of exhaustion
and hopelessness. We all have them. And it’s what we do with and after those
moments that determines our course and our character. I admire Sister Johnson
for putting that doubt behind her and holding on to the Lord’s promises when
everything else seemed to be screaming that it was illogical to believe. And
not only did she hold on, but she flourished. She used that time on
chemotherapy to learn German. In the three years of cancer treatment, she
became fluent in German. By the time I taught her at the MTC, she spoke the
language better than I did after my years of high school and university study.
I imagine what incredible faith that must have taken, not just to endure each
day of pain, but to exercise faith to study a language it seemed doubtful she
would ever use. But God kept His promise
to her. And she needed the German that she so diligently studied. She is now in
Germany, cancer-free and serving the mission God promised to her and her
husband.
One night, as I was sharing this story with a couple roommates,
discussing with them what it means for us (in our single, wanting-to-get-married-and-have-a-family
condition), one of them posed the question, “So what does learning German while
on chemotherapy look like (in your life)?” How can we grow while we are waiting
for the Lord to fulfill His promises?
And I think that’s a question worth asking over and over
again at each new stage of waiting on the Lord. Sometimes answers come
immediately, but much more often God asks us to slow down, to learn, to grow,
to continue to pray and search before change and answers come into our lives. I
know the time I’ve spent in my life waiting for God’s promises to be fulfilled
has been precious. It has been painful. But from that pain, I have learned
empathy. I have learned patience. I have developed skills and talents I would
not have developed if I had immediately received the answers I wanted. The
waiting was never a mistake, but a blessing.
The righteous saints who were living in America just prior
to the Savior’s birth likewise experienced this refinement through waiting (see the account in 3 Nephi 1 in the Book of Mormon). At
that time, those fighting against the Christians had issued a decree, stating
that those who believed in the prophecies of a Messiah would be put to death on
a certain day if the foretold signs of His coming were not fulfilled. I’ve
never had my life threatened because of my faith, but I can only imagine with
what fear and trembling those good saints prayed for God to keep His promises.
I’m sure they believed the prophet who had told them Christ would come. Yet in
the actual day-to-day living, when faith came under fire, I’m sure that more
than once, a faithful disciple of Christ turned heavenward to ask if the
promise could and still would be fulfilled. We have the record of the prophet Nephi
one day approaching the Lord in fervent prayer. As he pours out his soul to
God, he receives the glorious, comforting assurance that the Savior is coming
that very night to fulfill the promise that He made to His people. Not only
would He be saving them from imminent death at the hands of their enemies, but
would also come to redeem all mankind from sin and death.
But we don’t have a record of how many prayers Nephi uttered
previously, crying to God in the depths of agony, begging the Lord to redeem
his people from the threat of death which hung over them. How many sleepless
nights did Nephi spend pleading not only for his own life but for the lives of
those over whom he was called to preside? How many tears were shed by mothers
and fathers imploring the Lord to spare the lives of their children? The
scriptural record is strikingly silent on this subject. But that time in
between the uttering of the decree and the Lord’s reassurance to Nephi must
have been a dark period. A time of refinement. Of introspection. A time of
testing the strength of one’s own testimony and beliefs. This likely caused some to waver, to leave the
faith they had once held dear. In fact, some “began to be very sorrowful, lest
by any means those things which had been spoken might not come to pass.”
Others, after a period of doubt, may have grown stronger because of it. Perhaps
some grew angry with their enemies and had to choose between revenge and
forgiveness. But whatever individual differences they had in their process of
waiting, the scriptures indicate that “they did watch steadfastly for” the
promises to be fulfilled. And their faith was rewarded in the most glorious way
possible. The sign was given of the birth of the Savior. God had fulfilled the
promise he had made to prophets millennia before.
I wish we knew more about that period of fearful, faithful
waiting for those Nephite saints. Because that’s where all of us are right now—waiting
for the fulfillment of promises we have received from the Lord’s hand. Some of
us have been promised a mission. Others marriage and family. Others the return
of a child from a period of rebellion. Some are waiting for the promised
healing after the loss of a loved one. Some are waiting for direction and
guidance in life. And we have all been promised eternal life if we live
righteously. What we do during this time of waiting is critical. Waiting is pain. It is growth. It is change. It is a time to reflect
on our relationship with Deity. It is the refinement of our faith.
There is wisdom in the waiting.
And at the end of the waiting, if we have been faithful, not
only will we receive the promised blessings, but we will have become stronger.
Whether we undergo literal or figurative chemotherapy or the
threat of destruction by our enemies while we are waiting for the fulfillment
of God’s promises, there is hope. There is hope because God sent His Son more
than 2000 years ago to redeem us, to love us, to heal us. And because He kept
that promise, He can and will keep every other promise He has made.
Comments
Post a Comment