Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

In the heart of St. Petersburg you will find one of my favorite buildings in the entire world--the Church of the Savior on Spilled blood. The architecture and design of the building itself is stunning, with its spires and high ceilings and mosaics. And the history of the church is also inspiring. It was commissioned by Tsar Alexander III in memory of his father, Tsar Alexander II who had been killed on that location by a terrorist organization subsequent to his freeing of the serfs. After 24 years of construction, the church was completed in 1907. And now, after a troubled history during the Soviet era, the cathedral has been restored and is open to the public.



Pictures of the inside can't nearly do justice to the beauty and elegance of the temple. But the walls and ceilings are completely covered in beautiful mosaics portraying Bible stories, saints, and other images from the Orthodox tradition. It's breathtaking. 



As I stood in this vast cathedral that morning in St. Petersburg, I was surrounded by hundreds of people speaking a dozen languages. But it was as if I was alone--just me and the history and testimony and beauty of the building. It was a powerful experience to stand there and look up--to feel the weight and the truth of the Bible stories that were so beautifully and elaborately depicted. And of all the mosaics, this was my favorite--Christ rescuing Peter from the troubled sea.



I have always loved this story. The impetuous, yet faithful Peter, as soon as he finds out that it is his Master walking on the water, jumps out to go to Him. Peter loved the Savior. He knew that if Christ told him to walk on the water, he could. I want to have that kind of faith. I want to trust the Savior that implicitly. I want to have that kind of love for Christ to be willing to abandon all and run to Him--even across a stormy sea. And just as Peter was fine as long as he kept his eyes on the Savior, so too can we keep our heads above life's waters if we stay focused on Christ. But when Peter began to notice the waves and the wind--when he began to fear--his faith was shaken, and he started to sink. But I love how even in this moment of weakness, Peter knew where to turn. He knew that, even though he hadn't acted perfectly, if he cried to Christ, the Master would save him. And so it is with each of us. Sometimes--despite our faith and our best efforts--we falter. We fall. We start to sink. But our Savior is always near to save us. To catch us as soon as we call to Him. I have felt that saving grace in my life. And I know it is real. 

I'm not sure how long I stood there "alone" looking up at that mosaic and pondering life and Christ's love. But it was a beautiful experience. That cathedral is a sacred place to me--sacred because of its purpose, its meaning, its history. And because of the opportunity it gave me to reflect on my relationship with the Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?