"And he gave some apostles"

"Half of the leadership of my church was part of the secret police. How can you trust your church leaders?"

I started slightly and looked at my coworker, somewhat surprised by his abrupt and seemingly mocking question. His assessment of his own church leaders seemed very harsh. And having interacted with many people of his faith, as well as some of his church leaders, I felt that I had some right to have an opinion on the matter. No, they're not perfect. And yes, sometimes you hear stories of people in leadership positions not living up to the doctrine they preach. But we are mortal and make mistakes, no matter how fervently we may believe. So I was saddened that he had such a low view of his own church leaders.

And I was also sad that his own poor view of religious leadership caused him to doubt the goodness of any priest, teacher, or bishop anywhere. Because I am a firm believer in the goodness of man's heart. And there is so much that is noble in the officiators of every religion. And even beyond that, mine is the incredible blessing of having a testimony that my church leaders have been called of God directly. They are not elected by men. They do not choose themselves. They don't campaign. They don't even go to school for many years and study theology to prepare. They are called from the humble ranks of God's fold. And God lifts them up and purifies them and makes them equal to the task of feeding His sheep. And I know that. I trust God. And I trust the prophets, apostles, stake presidents, patriarchs, and bishops He calls.

"I believe that God called twelve apostles in our day, just as He did in the Bible. And because I know they are called of God, I trust them."

And I thought of our twelve apostles whom I love so much. I thought of President Monson and his counselors. I mean, who can even look at Elder Holland and doubt the integrity of his heart? Who can listen to Elder Bednar and wonder if he serves God? And who can stand in President Monson's presence without feeling of his goodness?

This good Russian man laughed at me. "But even among the twelve Jesus called while he was on the earth, one of them betrayed him. One denied him. One was a tax collector. Not even they were good people. How can you trust any man? All we need is a straight line between us and God."

And our conversation continued, but my friend continued to refuse to see things the way I do. But I pray that someday he, too, will gain a testimony that God calls prophets in our day. I hope that he will come to see that there can be good in organized religion--that, indeed, Christ Himself organized a religion, and we need that organization. We need leaders. Prophets and apostles and teachers are precious gifts from God. They allow us to come closer to Christ, not farther away from Him. And I know that such men, called of God, truly walk the earth today. They speak to us. And if we hearken to their words, we are blessed.

This past month, at the invitation of my stake presidency, our entire stake read one conference talk every day. And as I allowed the words of God's chosen servants to enter my little Russian dorm room, I felt my life change a little. I felt strength as my testimony was reaffirmed. I felt comfort to go forward and fight for what I know is right even against an ever-increasing tide of evil. I felt God's power through the words of His chosen servants.

I know that God does call worthy men to be his representatives on earth. Perfect men? No. Men who will walk their entire life course making no mistakes? No. God doesn't have any such individuals to work with. But he calls good, honest, worthy men. He bestows upon them a great trust--the weight of leading and blessing his children. And they rise to the magnitude of that trust. And because I know that God trusts them, I likewise trust them.

And I'm grateful that God calls leaders whom we can trust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?