Look at the World

Nearly two years ago I lived in a place that has become forever sacred in my heart and memory. Although covering only the geographical area of a couple city blocks, the MTC was a place that has forever changed my life. It was there that I learned a language which changed my view of the world. It was there that I found out more fully who I was. It was there that I developed relationships that will last for eternity. And (although it definitely had significantly less of an eternal impact on me), it was there that I became acquainted with John Rutter’s beautiful work, “Look at the World.” Those Tuesday and Sunday evenings spent in choir practice were some of the most sacred times at the MTC as we united our hearts and voices in praise of the God we were called to serve. One week, the piece chosen by our choir directors was this inspiring song. I remember thinking about the words as we sat there, impacted by the magnitude of God’s creations. That was a song I reflected on time and time again throughout my service as a full-time missionary as I pondered the goodness of God to his children. And once I returned home I eagerly looked it up on the internet, anxious to again hear this powerful testimony of all our God has done for us.

(Yes, the fact that a penguin makes an appearance does contribute to the fact that this is my favorite YouTube version of the song.)

What a simple but profound message—look at the world. Just look at it! The majesty of God’s creations surrounds us. Trees blossoming. The sun rising. Our own lungs breathing. We are encompassed by the evidence of God’s existence and His love. Truly we are his stewards. This earth is his, and he has given it to us for a time to care for it. That's a pretty big gift.

So if you’re having a bad day, just look at the world! Look at the face of your mother, friend, child, spouse and think on the majesty of that individual and the relationship you share. Think of the love that God showed when he created each of us for each other. Look at the fluffy bunnies that crinkle their noses. Look at the waddling penguins. Look at your own thumbs. And let the wonder and majesty of them sweep over you. God intended for us to see him when we saw the world. All things testify of him. So look at the world—look to see him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?