Дома уже месяц
Today marks one month since I took off my little black badge
and began the journey of returning to a life I’d forgotten. I feel much the
same way I did after my first month living in Ukraine – looking back I feel
like it has been the fastest and longest month of my life. I’ve gone to school
for three weeks now, written some papers, learned some o chem, renewed friendships,
made a lot of new friends, learned how to take care of mutant, green-glowing
worms, but most of all, I’ve learned a great deal about how to live.
Being back
at the campus on which I studied for years before my mission is a somewhat
surreal feeling. It brings home to me all the changes that have occurred in my
life. There are, of course, those superficial changes, such as my tendency to sing
hymns and Primary songs in the grocery store in a delightful combination of Russian
and English. And my propensity to call people “sister” rather than their first
names. And replying to non-Russian
speakers in Russian, with the complete expectation that they understood what I
just said.
But while those things may fade as I spend more time back in my
little Provo world, there are many deeper changes that are beginning to reveal
themselves to me. I feel more deeply – empathy, love, testimony – all those
things which need to be felt in this world. I reflect more deeply and search
more earnestly. I have gained an independence from the world around me, borne
of a strengthened relationship with my Savior. I have learned more how to live.
And as this period of adjustment continues and I once again learn how to live
the role of a student and a lay member of the church, the changes in my soul will become starker, revealing
who I really have become. And who I will yet become.
Comments
Post a Comment