Exchanges and Miracles
We had the opportunity of traveling up to Nikolaiv and Kherson this week for some wonderful exchanges with the sister there. I just have to say, that we have an incredible set of missionaries in our mission. It's such a blessing and privilege to get to be here and work with them! In Nikolaiv, Sister Mellor and I saw a lot of miracles as we worked together. My favorite one was probably a young girl named Masha. She turned 14 yesterday, and she was very interested in reading the Book of Mormon and meeting with the sisters. We set up a lesson with her right when we met her, and the sisters have met with her twice since I left. Even though I only spent ten minutes with that little girl, I love her dearly and I pray that she will soon be baptized. We also had the opportunity of teaching the mother-in-law of one of the members from Dnepr. It was so neat to see the member, Galina, again! That made me really happy, and it was a beautiful reminder that God truly knows exactly where each of his children is.
In Kherson, Sister Young and I set a goal to invite everyone to be baptized with whom we had a real conversation. That was an exciting day! I lost count of how many invitations we extended, but it felt incredible to be inviting so many people to follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized. We also saw a lot of miracles together and taught a wonderful woman on a bench and set up a return appointment with her. I learned a lot from those two exchanges we did, and I feel like our missionary work in our own area has improved a lot. Exchanges are such a blessing!
On the way back from exchanges, I very much enjoyed my final ride in a train compartment. Those little rooms in Ukrainian trains have become somewhat of a holy place for me - I have spent so many hours with the scriptures and in prayer as we have traveled across the countryside, and I will always treasure the pearls of wisdom I gleaned there. I think it's impossible not to be inspired there, what with the combination of the beautiful landscape (the trees are turning colors now!) and the word of God.
As a bit of good news, two young members from Dnepr, Rita and Vlad are getting married! Vova (the branch president in Center and every missionary's best friend) was so excited when he told us that - it's evidence that the church truly is growing. There are few things more exciting than the sealing of a Ukrainian family in the temple. It reminds me of the dedicatory prayer for the country of Ukraine where President Packer prayed that the young people would be able to find one another and marry in the temple. It's so exciting to me to see that come to pass!
We had a wonderful lesson this week with Galina. We talked about the Atonement and what that means to us. The Spirit was powerful as we talked about what our Savior did for us and how much He loves us. Galina told us she is going on a business trip to China, so she won't be able to get baptized before September, but she is very set on becoming a member of the church.
Maksim and Vika are doing great! They stayed for all three hours of church again and Maksim gave the closing prayer in Sacrament meeting. I just have to say, that Maksim is one of the most amazing people in the entire world. It takes a lot of humility and courage to return to activity in the church after years of being away from it. And he is amazing! He has become such a spiritual leader in his family - he honestly is just a rock to them. I can see how much his support and example mean to Vika. (And to his mother and aunt who have also started coming back to church.) He is on schedule to be ordained a priest the first Sunday in September! My heart swells every time I think of that - he has come so far, and it truly has been nothing short of a miracle. It brings me such joy to see that little family sitting together in church, worshiping the God they have come to love now more than ever. The power of the Atonement is real. If we are only willing to reach out for the Savior's hand, He will lift us up and help us. I have seen that in my own life so often, as well as in the lives of the people that I love so dearly here in Ukraine.
| Sister Esplin and I on the train on our way to Nikolaiv |
Comments
Post a Comment