Little Miracles

One day this week we stopped by the market where Tanya works, just to say hi and see how she was doing since we wouldn't be having a lesson with her that day. As we were descending the stairs and walking through the shops, I noticed in front of us a man that looked very familiar. It was Zhyena, one of our former investigators we had taught with his mother! We had lost contact with them about a month ago after Zhyena's mother told us to never come back, so we were really excited to see him again. We talked with him for a while there. He'd kept the Book of Mormon we'd given him, and he said that he was still interested even though his mother had sent us away. We were able to set up a lesson with him with the elders for later in the week, and he was very open and excited to learn more. I'm really grateful for that little miracle of getting back in contact with him.

When we reached Tanya's little store on the market, she was busy with a customer. The neat thing about missionary work, though, is that as long as there are people around, you always have something to do. So we talked with everybody as we waited. After a few minutes of busy shoppers not being very interested in our message, a woman approached us and asked us what we were doing. We explained, and she told us that she once had a copy of the Book of Mormon but had lost it. She'd looked all over for it, but couldn't find it. She'd also tried to buy it, but was disappointed that it is not sold anywhere, and she asked if she could have one from us. We were delighted to give her a new copy, and she promised that she would come to church (which she ended up having to miss because of some last-minute problems, but next week she'll make it!). It always makes me really happy when we see little miracles like that which come from us being in the right place at the right time. God truly is in the details of missionary work.

We're working with this really wonderful young woman right now named Galina. I can't remember if I've mentioned her before, but she's incredible! She read the Book of Mormon in four days (and apologized that she was only halfway through the Guide to the Scriptures at the back . . .) and begged for more to read, so she is currently in the Doctrine and Covenants. She knew right away that the Book of Mormon was true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet and on the first lesson accepted a baptismal date for 10 August. God truly does prepare the hearts of people to receive His word! She has a difficult work and travel schedule which has prevented her from coming to church yet or meeting much, but I'm very excited about her. 

We had a very sweet experience one day in the park this week. We were talking with a couple girls who work at an ice cream stand. One of the girls was considerably more interested in the Book of Mormon than the other was. When we gave them a copy of the book to look at, however, they began reading the sticker we'd placed in the front that lists questions of the soul and where you can find answers in the Book of Mormon. The interested girl began reading them out loud to her friend. 

"Listen! 'Does God know me? Is there really a God? Is there life after death?'"

The other girl looked up at us, her eyes wide. "Does God know me?"

I was very moved by that question and by the sincerity with which that sweet daughter of God asked it. We testified to her that God truly does know and love her. And then they continued to ask us those questions, lacing them with a sincerity and intensity that I've rarely heard - these truly were questions to which they needed answers. The Spirit filled my heart as we testified to them that there truly is a God in heaven and that we will all live again after we die. I'm grateful we had that opportunity to help two young women begin their search for answers to the questions of their soul, and I pray we can continue to help them on their journey to truth.

My favorite lesson we taught this week was one with Tanya. We focused on the Atonement of Christ and how through Him we can be completely healed, cleansed, and forgiven. I don't really know how to describe the sweet peace and light that comes whenever we talk about the Atonement, but it was there in rich abundance that evening. I know with all of my heart that Christ lives. I know that He is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. And He is my personal Savior. He is Tanya's Savior. He is the Healer of our souls. It has been an incredible joy to watch the power of the Atonement enter Tanya's life and see as she has drawn closer to Him and felt His healing strength lift her up. I know she felt His love as we talked that night. At the end of the lesson, the four of us in the room knelt in prayer and Tanya, who is usually very shy about praying in front of us, offered a sincere prayer of gratitude to our Heavenly Father. I know that we all felt something very special that night, and I'm so grateful that I was able to be a part of it.

In my studies this week, I found a scripture that impacted me greatly. It is 1 Thessalonians 2:4, which reads, "As we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts." As I read that, I was reminded of what a high honor and trust it is to be a missionary and be a full-time servant of the God of heaven. I don't know how to express my gratitude that God has put me in trust with the gospel and allowed me to share His word with the people I love so much here in Crimea. I love this work. I love this calling. And I love the God who called me.


-Sharisa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?