Is that promise for everyone?
This week we had one of the most powerful lessons I have ever been on. Seriously, it was definitely material for The District 3. I was incredibly moved by that experience, and will forever treasure it. Now for the necessary background information that hopefully is not super confusing. We are teaching this woman named Vika. She is about 25 years old and has a baby girl who is 2 months. Her entire family (basically) are members of the church, but she has never joined. Ever since I have been in Simferopol we've been teaching Vika's niece, Angelina, a young woman who was recently baptized. And recently we've started teaching Vika. Vika is honestly one of the most sincere truth seekers I have ever met, and I love her more than I can say. This most recent lesson was a landmark because her husband Makcim joined us! Makcim was baptized with his mother and siblings when he was 11, but in recent years has been inactive in the church. The Spirit in that living room was powerful as Galina (the grandmother/mother-in-law/mother), Makcim, Angelina, and Vika holding her baby girl discussed the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Vika and Max had read together the introduction of the Book of Mormon, and Vika posed one of the most earnest questions I have ever heard.
"It says here that if we ask if the book is true we will receive an answer. Does that work for everybody, or only for some people?"
We testified to her that God's promise that He will reveal the truth of the Book of Mormon applies to every single seeker of truth - all we have to do is ask in faith. She told us that she wants to know if the book is true, and that finding out if it is will completely change her world view. We watched the Restoration film with them, and never have I felt the Spirit so strongly during that movie - every single person in that room was visibly moved by the influence of the Lord's Spirit. The following conversation was one of the sweetest things I have ever witnessed. We discussed the reality of the Restoration, and Max bore powerful testimony - and I know that in so doing, his testimony was strengthened and he took a valuable step in returning to activity in the church. We talked about their newborn daughter and of the promise of eternal families. I can't describe the look that passed between Vika and Max at that point as they shared hopeful smiles, and I know without a doubt that that is something they want and are willing to work for. Vika told us that she wants to get baptized, and we are so excited! I pray that it will be soon - it will be a little difficult for her to come to church with her newborn baby, but we're praying that we will be able to help her overcome all of the obstacles so she can enjoy these blessing she so deeply desires. I love that family so much!
Tuesday evening (I did that specifically for you, Anton ;) ), Sister Burgoyne and I led Family Home Evening at the Dudley's. Our dear friends Kristina and Anton were there, along with Sister Anna Ludmila. We watched the Restoration film, and the Spirit was present, testifying of the truthfulness of Joseph Smith's vision. I have such a firm testimony that Joseph Smith truly is a prophet of God. I know that He restored the Church of Jesus Christ to the earth. I'm grateful to be here in Ukraine sharing that message with people I love.
We were able to teach a lesson to the granddaughter of Anna Ludmila, and I quite enjoyed that experience. Her name is Alina and she is almost eight years old. As the four of us were walking to the branch building where the lesson would be, Alina asked, "Grandma, when do I get my own copy of that book?" My heart completely melted, and when I told her she would get it right then, she skipped in excitement. I'm pretty sure the Book of Mormon deserves that kind of excitement all the time. :) We had a wonderful lesson with her, discussing the restoration and God's love for each of us. I love that little girl, and I know God loves her. She can't get baptized until she's old enough to go around the city by herself, since her parents aren't willing to take her to our church, but she expressed to us her desire to be baptized someday. I was very moved when, after that, Anna Ludmila cried as she talked about how much it would mean to her if her granddaughter could someday serve a mission. I know that little Alina will one day be an incredible missionary, and I'm really grateful to know her.
Ira came to church yesterday! She is a woman that we frequently run into on the streets and teach her when we see her, but she has never been willing to meet with us officially. Saturday night we had another such street-lesson, in which we discussed prayer and how to know that the Book of Mormon is true. We invited her to church, but she wasn't sure if she could come. So when she showed up on Sunday morning, I was endlessly delighted! It always makes me happy to see people make progress, even if it is slow and takes a long time.
Another highlight of this week was meeting with Patricia after church yesterday. If I didn't have a testimony before that the influence of the Holy Ghost changes people, I would now possess an unshakable one. A miraculous transformation has come over Patricia in the week since her baptism and confirmation. She was always a happy, sweet, loving, intelligent girl. But now . . . wow! Her insights into the scriptures were incredible as we talked together, and she was just radiating joy and light. Her confidence has also increased, and I was just astounded at the strength of her testimony. The power of the Holy Ghost is REAL. I love that girl so much, and I'm grateful for her example to me. I was very much inspired as she recounted the difference in her life this past week after her baptism. Truly, so much light and joy come from following the example of our Savior and being baptized by His priesthood power. I know without a doubt that this is the true church of Christ, and I am so happy that right now I get to be a missionary to help people find this joy and peace that are only available through the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
-Sharisa
Comments
Post a Comment