A Lot

I apologize that this reference will be lost on all but about three of the people who will read this. But sometimes, as you sit down in front of the computer on Monday and think back across the past week, you ask yourself, "What just happened?" And a voice sounding a lot like Sister Myers answers you and says, "A lot." Yep. That's about how this week was. It might necessitate a chronological run-down.

Monday morning Sister Bates and I waited very patiently for our taxi that never came to take us to the train station. So we called a second taxi. (Cool thing - as we were waiting and praying that we wouldn't miss our train to Dnepr, a former investigator walked by! It was really cool to get to see her for a minute. So God's hand is even in taxi drivers forgetting about two little American girls.) Our taxi eventually came and we made it to the train station with enough time to eat McDonalds with our district. And then came the sevenish hour train-ride to the land of Dnepropetrovsk. We had a really cool conversation with this young couple in the hall of the train. He is from America and travels around doing filming for concerts and things. I quite enjoyed getting to know them, and it made me happy that they were interested in looking at the Church's resources on helping families. That was definitely a little tender mercy that we got to talk with them, and it was interesting to reflect on all the little things that went in to us actually being able to talk with them. Good stuff. I absolutely loved the part of the train ride where we crossed the narrow strip of land and were able to look at the sea out windows on both sides of the train. Ukraine is beautiful. :)
Waiting for the taxi
Tuesday Sister Bates and I got to spend some lovely time walking around my beloved Dnepr together and talking with people. We met a lot of nice people, and I was especially excited about the woman who accepted a copy of the Book of Mormon. That evening, while Sister Bates and the other departing missionaries were doing their activities at the mission home, Sister Hodgson, Sister Dimick, and I went contacting together. We met a lot of really nice, interested people. (I'm sure the sisters in Dnepr were incredibly grateful that we were all working there that week, because over the course of those few days, we found so many people for them. ;) ) We stopped at the new branch building and I was able to talk with Lena and Vika for a little bit. And guess what!! Their mother got baptized!!! That is one of the biggest miracles I've seen on my mission - it's been so incredible to watch that family come into the church one by one. It was also incredible to see the chapel in the new church - I have never seen a more beautiful chapel in my life! It was honestly like the temple. God truly loves these saints in Ukraine, and I'm so excited for them.

Wednesday, after the way-too-early and incredibly difficult saying of farewell to my twin, I was able to meet my new companion. Her name is Sister Burgoyne, and she's wonderful! She's from Arizona and is studying voice.  She is one of the most fearless people I know and she really loves this work. We saw a lot of miracles that day as we worked together, including meeting a man who knew the elders and giving out a couple copies of the Book of Mormon. We also ran into one of my favorite investigators from my time spent in Dnepr!! I was so excited to see Nastia again, and even more excited to hear that she was still reading the Book of Mormon. That was definitely a tender mercy to get to see her. 

Thursday we were still in Dnepr. The sisters on Left Bank invited us to go with them on a lesson to a recent convert named Valentina. I wasn't sure that was the most effective use of our time, but for some reason I felt that we should. As the four of us sat in the tiny living room of that sweet Ukrainian woman, she told us that she has relatives in Sevastopol! So I asked her if my companion and I could try to teach them the gospel, and she eagerly agreed. I'm quite excited about that! I pray that the relatives of this on-fire recent convert will also have a desire to learn more about Christ. It definitely wasn't a coincidence that we were there that day. 

Friday President vanBruggen drove us back to Simferopol. As we were passing through Dzhonkoy, both he and I felt that we needed to stop and visit an inactive member who lives in that city. So after calling her and wandering all over the city to find her house, the vanBruggens, my companion, and I met with this sweet woman who has such a strong testimony of the gospel but because of family and geographical situations is unable to attend church. That was also such a miracle because the vanBruggens were able to help her with some things she really needed.

I was so excited to get back to Simferopol! As much as I love Dnepr, I was quite missing my 'home' all week. I love this little city and the people here. The two and a half days we've had back here have been pretty miraculous. We met a couple times with a girl from Nigeria named Justina, and she wants to be baptized! She is also the only person I've ever taught who has screamed with excitement when I've told them we brought them their personal copy of the Book of Mormon. (And believe me, that's gratifying. ;) ) And last night when we were tracting, we were let into the homes of two families, almost back-to-back. Both of them accepted the Book of Mormon and invited us back. I pray that they will progress, but even if not, that was a huge witness to me of the importance of planning in front of a map and seeking God's direction in where you should go. His hand is in this work.

I know that the church is true and that this truly is the work of the Lord. I know that Christ lives, and I love Him with all of my heart.

- Sharisa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?