Vika's Baptism!
Vika was baptized this week!!!! Honestly, that was one of the most joyful moments of my entire life. I wish there was some way that I could convey some of what I felt (and still feel) to all of you, but just know that it was incredible. There is nothing like watching your little sister step into the waters of baptism and beam with joy. In the words of one of my favorite elders, as we looked at Vika, "You could just cry looking at her." In her little white suit, she just looked like a little glowing angel (and in fact, the entire branch has begun calling her 'angel.' I think some of them even think it's her last name.). The Spirit in that room was tangible, and joy was just radiating. It honestly felt like we were one big family, and my heart rejoiced to see the love that the members all showed to Vika. On Sunday she received the gift of the Holy Ghost, and that was also a powerful experience. It reminded me so much of my own confirmation, which is one of my most treasured experiences. That little eight-year-old Vika is going to be a mighty member and leader here in Ukraine. She truly will be a light to everybody around her, and God is going to work so many miracles through her. I don't know how to quite express my gratitude at getting to work with her, or the love that I feel for her, but I understand now, clearer than ever, that we literally are all brothers and sisters - children of our Heavenly Father. And I love my little sister Vika so much.
Zone Conference was this week, and we had the incredible blessing of hearing from Elder Bennett, of the presidency of the Europe East Area. He promised at the beginning of the day that this conference would be one of the greatest gifts we have been given since before the MTC, and he proved to be correct. We had an incredible discussion on charity and how if we are filled with charity for these people, our missions will change and more miracles will occur than we could even imagine. It was a powerful 8 hours, and it honestly changed my mission. (Again - I feel like something mission-changing happens quite frequently. It's incredible how we can always continue to grow and learn and become the people that God needs us to be.) As part of the day, our leaders assigned us temporary companions and sent us out on the streets for an hour to contact and apply the principles of charity we had discussed that morning. I had the opportunity of contacting with Sister Hooker, and it was a lot of fun to be back with my trainer. During that hour, we had so many wonderful conversations, and I know that the people were were talking with could feel our love. None of them may have been interested in the gospel, but they had a positive experience with missionaries and they could feel something different from us. These past few days, as I've continued to focus on charity, I've seen a big difference in our contacting. I have such a deep love for the Ukrainian people, and before zone conference I didn't think there was much more room in my heart to love them any more. But apparently there was, because now I love these people even more than ever. I'm so grateful that I get to go outside each day and talk to them and get to know them and share my love with them.
Elder Bennett also talked a lot about the miracles that are about to take place in this mission. I'm excited for that! We've already seen so many miracles, and I feel very grateful to get to be part of the group of missionaries that helps move the work forward even more. I was especially touched by Elder Bennett's comments that the Dnepropetrovsk temple has already been spiritually created - God knows where it will stand and who will be the president of it. God knows who will be the stake presidents here in Dnepr, and maybe today we were talking with them. I can't wait for the day when there is a temple in this city that I love so much! And I'm excited that I get to work each day to hasten that day.
One evening this week I went on splits with Sister Swenson, one of the other sisters that lives with me. We had a wonderful time contacting and finding less-actives. And we discovered that we have so many mutual friends and know basically all the same places since we grew-up in neighboring cities. And we had to come all the way to Ukraine to meet! Fun stuff.
Due to zone conference earlier this week, we had eight sisters in our apartment one night. That was a lot of fun! There were approximately fifty conversations going on at once, as we all got caught up on each other's lives (to a missionary your life = your investigators and members, so there were a lot of incredible stories exchanged). I'm definitely grateful for all the relationships I've formed here - missionaries are basically amazing and I quite love working with them. :)
Last night we had a pretty funny experience. We had invited Marina (one of my favorite people in the world - she returned from her mission to Samara about the same time I left on my mission) to be on a lesson with us. Unfortunately, we had never met the woman before since the elders were passing her to us. Marina had been there once before, but didn't remember exactly how to get there. After wandering around for a good while and calling the elders several times, we finally located the house. Just to make sure, we asked someone standing outside if Tatiana lived there. With his assurance that, yes, it was Tatiana's residence, we knocked on the door. After a minute, we were invited in and Tatiana inquired who we were and what was going on. I asked her, "We're missionaries. Do you remember when the elders visited you?" She gave us a completely baffled look and said that no, in fact she did not remember. I panicked slightly, and looked over at Marina, completely puzzled by how this woman could have forgotten that missionaries had taught her. But then Marina admitted that she also did not recognize this woman, and Tatiana informed us that we must be looking for her next-door neighbor - Tatiana. With much laughter (and an invitation to church and to learn more) we left and knocked on the correct Tatiana's door. Good times.
A little later that evening, Marina asked us if we wanted to tract her family's stairwell. (She moved out last week so she no longer lives with her parents.) She had to stop by her parents' for a bit, then was going to her new apartment, so she told us to tract the rest of the floors, then go to her parents' floor last so she wouldn't be there when we came and they wouldn't know she sent us. As the three of us were in the elevator, Marina gasped and said, "Sister Nay! They'll recognize my coat!" (On Saturday at the baptism, Mariana had decided that she really liked my coat and we decided to trade for a few days. So on Sunday we were still wearing each others' coats. And her coat is pretty distinctive, so her family was definitely going to know that we were connected.) Fortunately we solved that problem by me just not wearing the coat when we knocked. Unfortunately, Marina took longer at home than she planned, and was inside when we tracted. So her family still has not accepted the gospel, but we had a lovely chat with Marina. :) Fun stuff.
I hope you all have a good week! Next week I'll be writing from Simpferopol!!
- Sharisa
Comments
Post a Comment