I'm in Ukraine!
I'm in Ukraine! We left early last Tuesday morning and drove to the
Salt Lake Airport. It was exciting to be in a bus full of missionaries
as we all headed out to our respective corners of the world. Our
flights were good - we were able to get a little sleep and also talk
to people. Sister Dimick and I had a conversation for at least an hour
with this Jewish man in the back of the plane on the way to Austria.
That was definitely an eye-opening experience for both of us. He was
completely floored that two young women were giving up their lives for
18 months (and paying for the privilege!) to go to Ukraine and talk to
people. He couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that we would heed
the call of a prophet like that. He wasn't interested in meeting with
the missionaries or learning more, but at least he's been introduced
to the gospel, and maybe someday he'll be interested.
It was really exciting to exit the plane in both Austria and Ukraine -
you don't go through a covered walkway like you do in America to get
to the airport, but you walk down a flight of stairs into the open
air. It somehow makes me feel triumphant, like a queen or somebody
arriving in a foreign land. That was fun.
Our mission president met us at the airport, along with his wife and
some of the missionaries serving in Dnepropetrovsk. They sent our
luggage to the mission home and whisked us off to begin contacting in
the streets. For culture-shocked, jet-lagged missionaries, that was
definitely an experience I won't forget. We set out along the streets
in Dnepropetrovsk, armed with copies of the Book of Mormon and some
info cards and began talking to people. In Russian. It's definitely a
little intimidating to stop people on the streets in Russian within
your first hour in their country. It was pretty fun, though. Most
people weren't interested, but we did have a couple people take our
information. It was kind of funny, because in the MTC we'd come up
with this hand signal that means you just got rejected (it began
because, being the enthusiastic, friendly person I am, I am always
excited to see people and shake their hands or whatever, but they
aren't always paying attention so my excitement goes waste when they
don't notice me. Sister Busch and Sister Dimick, when you read this in
15 months, you'll know what I mean.), and I came to understand that on
a whole new level Wednesday evening. :)
After contacting we went to the branch for our welcome meeting. Never
in my life have I been so happy to see members of the Church! It was
such a comfort and relief to know that there were people who believe
as I do in this foreign country. They greeted us in the traditional
Ukrainian manner with the bread and salt. We sang and had a mini
testimony meeting then ate borscht. It was neat to get to know the
members a little bit and some of the missionaries. I was surprised to
find that a boy I went to high school with is in my mission - Elder
Rodriguiz-Vargas. So that was really fun to see him and talk with him.
We spent the first night at the mission home then had orientation
there the next morning. We were all fighting jet-lag, but we managed
to stay awake most of the time. :) Our trainers came after lunch and
took us to our areas. I'm serving in the city of Dnepropetrovsk. It's
been my mission president's goal for a long time to have two
companionships in Dnepropetrovsk, so that's finally coming to
fruition. We live on the Left Bank side of the river, and we have the
second-nicest apartment in the mission (which makes the elders jealous
. . .). We live on the tenth floor, and we have windows facing both
east and west with beautiful views of the city. I love being able to
see the river and the city lights.
My first evening with my trainer (Sister Hooker - she's from Cedar
Hills and is super sweet!) we taught FHE at the senior couple's house.
A number of members/investigators came, too. I got to bear my
testimony in Russian and talk about how following Christ has blessed
my life. That was a neat experience. I enjoyed getting to know the
members a little bit more. I can't wait until I know Russian better so
I can really communicate with them! I feel such a love for the members
here, and I want them to be faithful to the Lord for their whole
lives. And I want to help them as best I can to do that.
On Friday, I had the opportunity to teach two lessons! (The sisters
did so much work here last transfer! They have five people with
baptismal dates, as well as a bunch of other investigators. It's
exciting to be able to get to work with these people they've found.) I
was surprisingly not nervous to teach - the MTC prepared me well for
teaching, for which I'm grateful. I taught Nina (who is going to be
baptized this Saturday!) about the Word of Wisdom. And I shared the
restoration story with Anya. It was incredible to be able to speak and
bear testimony of the gospel in Russian. I know the gift of tongues is
real. I love teaching! I love these investigators, and I can't wait to
get to know them more and help them come unto Christ. After leaving my
first lesson, I just felt so good - it feels incredible to teach
someone about the gospel and help them accept Christ.
Saturday we performed a service project with the branch. We cleaned up
a park, and I enjoyed getting to know the branch members more. They're
all so kind, and are patient with my lack of Russian. I am able to
understand quite a bit, though, which is really nice. It's always
slightly gratifying when the members speak through my companion to me
so she can interpret, but I understand in Russian. One sister asked if
I'd been in the country for three months, but that was probably more
attributable to my misdeclension of the word "day" for the number
three than to any linguistic skill I possess. But it was still
encouraging.
After the service project, the six missionaries in my district
(including Elder Fillmore from my MTC district!) went out to lunch
with a member. Ukrainian food is good - they have a lot of potato
dishes, which I like. As we were sitting there, one of the elders got
a call. Those of us missionaries who just arrived aren't allowed to
wear our nametags anymore . . . there was a mistake on our visas, so
while they're working that out we're technically not allowed to be
representing the Church, or something like that. We're still allowed
to proselyte, though, which is a blessing. And we have a great man
working on our visas, so they should get it all worked out soon. Until
then, it's a little weird to not be wearing my nametag. Especially
heading home after the service project - in jeans and without a
nametag, I almost felt like a tourist. But it's a good thing that the
power of a missionary is in the call, and not in the nametag.
Church yesterday was really good! There were maybe 30 people in the
branch (there are usually more, but it was their Memorial Day, so many
people were out of town). I got to stand and speak for a few minutes
about myself and bear my testimony. That was a neat experience - I
definitely am grateful for the gift of tongues. I love sharing my
testimony in Russian! I was able to understand some of the talks and
what was going on, which was neat. It felt a lot like my first Sunday
in the MTC - I understood some, but not a lot. So that was an
encouraging connection, and I'm confident that I'll soon be able to
understand almost everything.
My trainer is wonderful! She actually trained Sister Bates a couple
transfers ago, so it's neat to have that connection. She's studying
archeology at BYU. And shes 6'3", so she walks fast. :) She's a good
missionary, and I'm excited to be working with her.
Ukraine is very different from America, and I'm still very much in
culture-shock. But I love it here. I look at the people on the
marshutkas as we bump along the roads, and I am filled with love for
them. I feel like they are my people and that this is my city, and I
just want everyone here to know what I know. I want them all to accept
this message.
I'm grateful to be a missionary here. It's different than I expected
(but then, when is that not the case?), but I love it. I love being
able to serve people and talk to them and love them. Even though it's
hard (we may have now passed up o chem [organic chemistry class] in difficulty), it is
wonderful. I've already learned a lot, and I know these next 15 months
are going to be incredible. I know with all my heart that the Church
is true. I know that God lives and that Christ is our Savior. I know
that through the gospel of Jesus Christ we can be truly happy now and
in eternity. I am so excited to share that happiness with these people
in Ukraine!
Comments
Post a Comment