March 21, 2012 Half-Way Mark!


My district hit our MTC half-way mark this past week. In honor of the day, the mother of one of our elders (who is a professional baker) sent us one of the most elaborate cakes I've ever seen. It had a caramel/frosting message on the top, and it was quite delicious. It was definitely exciting to see half of the cake disappear within 30 seconds of us digging into it.

Elder Oaks came and spoke to us last night. He focused on teaching with the Spirit and how we simply CANNOT teach unless we have the Spirit with us. He emphasized the Sacrament as a key for having the Spirit in our lives. The Sacrament is not something we simply do every Sunday, but it is something that needs to be proceeded by much forethought and repentance in the days leading up to it. I think all of us who heard that talk were inspired to take the Sacrament more seriously so that we can have the Spirit more fully in our lives.

Ashley Kingery came into the MTC last Wednesday! She lives on my floor, so we get to see each other quite frequently. It's been a lot of fun to see her and to speak a little German with her. (Although Russian is currently overpowering my German - but that's okay, because I'm sure it will come back when I actually need it.)

There are currently five sisters from my freshman ward in my residence hall. (Another one left this past week, so there used to be six of us.) There's me, Megan Armknecht, Missy Hansen, Jen Itri, and Anna McKay, and Kiersten Carr just left. It's been really neat to be at the MTC with all those wonderful girls, and it's also crazy to think about how long ago freshman year was.

We got our new Russian triple combinations today! It was like Christmas when our district leader walked in and gave us the shrinked-wrapped scriptures. The new translation is apparently more colloquial, so that has been a difficult transition for some of the Russian speaking members. It would be like having the English Book of Mormon translated into modern speech. But we think it will be a good thing for investigators - it will make the scriptures more accessible to them right from the start. I don't quite know enough Russian to know which one is easier to read, but apparently the new one will be easier (once I know enough Russian to tell). I'm pretty excited about them. It's been really neat to work on memorizing the first vision in Russian - there is so much power in those words, both in English and in Russian. The other day, I realized that I'm going to be in Ukraine pretty soon and that I'll have to speak Russian all the time. That was a somewhat sobering realization, but I'm excited. Our district has a goal to speak only Russian for our last two weeks here, so that will be starting pretty soon. That will be difficult, but I know it will definitely help us prepare to be effective servants of the Lord as we teach in the Russian language.
-Sharisa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?