The large white envelope

You know those days that are just so great that you would relive them over and over if you could? This past Wednesday was definitely one of those.

For one thing, it was my best friend's 21st birthday. Which means partying and Swedish apple pie. And celebrating how awesome Megan is. Good times.

Second, it was a Wednesday, which meant there was a distinct possibility that my mission call would come. When I saw the mail truck outside my apartment building, I was seized with an intense excitement. I jumped around and searched everywhere for the mailman. I think he must have delivered mail to several other buildings before he reached mine. I was dying. When the mailman finally reached my building, I ran downstairs with my roommate and family who had been up that afternoon. We stood by the mailman, who calmly finished putting advertisements in the boxes. Finally, he finished and asked "All right, which one of you is it?"

Third, my call actually did come! The mailman pulled out a large white envelope and handed it to me. My heart raced as I saw "Sister Sharisa Joy Nay" printed on the front with the First Presidency as the return address. I squealed and bounded back up the stairs. I had my call! I'd never understood the intense excitement of a mission call until I was holding in my own hands the envelope concealing where I would spend the next 18 months of my life. I don't think I've ever been so excited in my life.

After waiting a very long three hours, I gathered with my family and some close friends to open my call. I broke the seal and pulled out the stack of papers. As my eyes scanned the document, my already rapid heartbeat increased and my eyes widened as I saw where I was going. I hadn't expected that at all! I began reading, and Megan, who was sitting next to me, gasped as she read over my shoulder.

"Dear Sister Nay: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission."



My living room burst into cheers and congratulations. Shocked and ecstatic, I finished reading my call letter. I couldn't stop grinning through the subsequent celebratory hugs and pictures.

I'm going to Ukraine!!!!!!! I still can't believe it. My friend started teaching me Russian last night, and that will definitely be a challenge, but I am so excited for it! I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity to serve as the Lord's representative to His children in Ukraine. It is a dream come true to serve a full-time mission and share with my brothers and sisters the truth that means everything to me in my life.

I can't wait until March!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Messenger of the Covenant

Memories and Missing

How can an American love both Russia and Ukraine?