Ten years later
Ten years ago today, my life changed forever. On that morning half my life ago, I arrived to my fifth grade class and was shocked by the stories I was hearing. To my innocent 10-year-old mind, such things as terrorist attacks were unheard of. Sure, people had been mean to each other during the World Wars and there were a few skirmishes since then, but in my modern world, people were civil to one another. That childhood illusion was lost that day. I suddenly realized that the world I was about to enter was not the friendly place it had once seemed. At the same time, though, I was humbled and moved by the stories of those who risked and gave their lives to save others. Human nature shone at its brightest that day, showing me that goodness truly conquers evil. As my nation turned to God, so did I, and I came to know Him through the events of that day more than I ever had before.
My generation grew up a great deal that day. There was no way we could remain the same, not after what we’d seen and heard. I was suddenly filled with a patriotism unlike any I had ever felt before. I knew that I loved my country fiercely and that I would stand by her in all her challenges. I wanted to be as selfless as those who had given the last full measure of devotion to save the lives of their fellow Americans.
Today, my generation is finally coming of age and entering the world whose hatred (and selflessness) we had glimpsed as children. That day which in large measure shaped our character and our lives will continue with us. The courage and compassion shown on September 11, 2001 will forever be a part of me and teach me how I ought to live my life. I honor those good men and women who lived and died ten years ago. God bless America – America who stands for goodness and resiliency in the face of opposition. I love this land.
Comments
Post a Comment