Come, Let us Adore Him
Were it not for the previously mentioned snow storm that draped the valley in white, I would have feared that this Christmas would be green, because this weekend was the rainiest one in my memory of Decembers. It brought new meaning to that line from “What Sweeter Music” about December being turned to May.
Sunday morning I had the great privilege of standing outside in this pouring rain with my family as we waited to be admitted to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas program in Salt Lake City. The Conference Center sidewalks were filled with lines of people, all of us eager to hear the Tabernacle Choir and David Archuleta join in praises of our Savior. The fact that my family made it to the concert was a miracle – actually a whole series of miracles – which made me even more grateful to be there and far outweighed the discomfort of my soaked feet. First of all was the fact that we even got tickets to this concert, considering that around 1.5 million people requested tickets (and to allow that many people to attend, the choir would have had to perform 750 times instead of the scheduled four). Then we arrived safely and on time in Salt Lake despite the pouring rain and the freeway closure by Lindon. By the time we made it through the line and were in the Conference Center, most of the seats in the lower levels were filled. But somehow, there were still five seats together in the front section of the terrace, and my family was astounded at obtaining such good seats so close to the beginning of the concert.
From the moment I entered the performance hall, I was floored by the decorations, the music, the dancers, and the entire atmosphere of the production. The program captured the spirit of the Christmas season as we were transported through the years to humbly and joyfully worship the Babe with Mary and Joseph. One of my favorite Christmas songs has always been “Oh Come, All Ye Faithful,” and I was near tears as the Tabernacle Choir sang it. The invitation to “come, let us adore Him” especially has great meaning and power for me. It is an invitation that stands even today, calling each of us to remember what a marvelous gift God has given us in the birth, life, and mission of His divine Son. What power and joy comes through remembering that, not just during Christmastime, but throughout the whole year.
I will come.
I will adore Him.
Comments
Post a Comment